Once you get to know EverNote, you will start to have customized requirements. Many notes as in meetings, reports and quick info captures has the same format and content. Having a template saves lots of time. Unfortunately, EverNote doesn’t have a template feature yet. Here is a short tutorial on how to work around this shortcoming.
Create the templates
- Create a note with all the parameters you want. See the zip file with 5 templates I probably stole from somewhere.
- Once you are done, export the file to an archive file. In the File menu choose “export notes to archive…”.
Fix the details, not really necessary!!!
- The files will inherit some details that you might want to change. Creation date, author, URL and tags. In case you want to remove these you have to do it by hand.
- Open the file in any text editor and search for <created> and remove the whole tag/data/end-tag for example: <created>20110407T184833Z</created>
Import and use your templates
- Click on the a notebook. Choose File and “import notes from Archive …”
- Choose your file and import it.
- EverNote asks you if you want to create a new note. Choose NO!
- Voila, you have a new note with your settings in your notebook of choice.
Double click on your templates!!
- The easiest way would be to just double click on your file to import it automatically. It is possible! However, the notes will end up in a notebook called “imported name-of-your-note”.
Here is 5 EverNote Templates
After posting this to the EverNote forum, I got a very good comment with a small effective and working script:
http://ht.ly/4JvmW. The script was added to Veritrope at http://ht.ly/4Jvll. You will find a lot of scripts at this site.
Good Luck, leave more comments or hints if you feel like it!